The Gartlet was the birth place of Mary Erskine, 1629 – 1707, a pioneer of education for girls.
A successful private banker in Edinburgh, she contributed to the setting up of the Merchant Maiden Hospital in 1644 to which she also bequeathed 10,000 SCOTS Merks.
The hospital became a day school for girls in 1869 and later became the Mary Erskine School in 1944.
The house was demolished c1965. Both pictures were taken during a site survey in 2006 before total demolition occurred to make way for the Clackmannanshire Bridge link road.